Self confidence is a complicated thing. It’s pretty tough to feel confident when there are other people/things/society constantly reminding you that you’re not good enough, pretty enough, rich enough, stylish enough, whatever enough. You need to KNOW your beauty and defend it every day!
I work in Newport Beach – the land of sunshine, duffy boats, exquisite dining and fancy cars. It can be easy to get caught up in the lifestyle and lose your self-confidence when you compare yourself to others. It’s important for me to know my beauty and to know it is SO much more than what I wear or the type of purse I have.
Luckily, I have a husband who pours words of encouragement into me every day. He helps me see my true beauty and my worth. I am so thankful I have him in my life! I wouldn’t be the person I am today without him.
Here are some things I do to stay confident and feeling beautiful:
- Read My Bible: Knowing my worth and beauty in Christ is what inspires me to feel confident every day. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
- Stand Tall: I am 5’10” and I get reminded how tall I am ALL the time! Probably about 5-10 times a day, but guess what? Standing tall and owning my height has helped improve my confidence. There is nothing like a tall woman who knows what she wants in her career and personal life. It’s inspiring to others when they see you stand tall and be proud of God made you!
- Surround Yourself with Positive People: The friends you hang out with and the people you spend your time with are extremely important. Make sure they are friends who are lifting you up and bringing the best out of you.
- Do, wear, try, anything that makes you feel beautiful: Put makeup on and do your hair. Try out that new lipstick you’ve been eyeing. Curl or straighten your hair just because. I notice such a difference in my day when I actually put an effort into my appearance. Again, it doesn’t matter what you wear but I do believe that making an effort is extremely important for your confidence.
- Discover a New Passion or Hobby: For me, it’s fitness! I love to workout and push myself in the gym. Fitness and improving my health has improved my confidence. Find a passion or hobby that makes you laugh or feel good. Trust me, it works!
It is such a beautiful feeling when you can care less about the world and what it has to offer you. I hope you learn to KNOW your beauty!
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
1 Samuel 16:7