Having a healthy booty is in right now. I don’t know if it was Jennifer Lopez or what, but girls are all about their butt these days, and I am one of them. Women think that cardio will help achieve these types of results, but it’s weightlifting. Read here on why I believe women should weight lift.
You want a round, shapely butt? Lift. Do you want to make your legs more defined? Lift. And by lift, I mean put weight on an actual barbell and move it. Your glutes are muscles just like any other on your body. If you want them to grow and thus make your butt rounder, you need to challenge them with weight.
Here below are some exercised that will help you achieve a round, shapely butt…
- Squat- Squats are a must if you are trying to get that Jenny from the block booty. I squat with a barbell once a week. This is an important day as I really push myself and working on getting low. What I have also incorporated in my barbell squat exercise, are bands. I now squat with a barbell and weights, and a band around my thighs. Let me tell you, this kills your booty!
- Single Leg Glute Bridge- This is a booty worker! Lie on your back with your knees bent and soles of your feet on the floor. Extend one leg. On your exhale, squeeze your glutes, and push your hips up toward the ceiling as high as you can. Pause, then lower until your butt hovers right above the floor, and repeat without touching the ground to complete one rep. This will make your booty burn!
- Dead Lift- If I could only do one exercise every week it would be the dead lift. It trains everything in your body but your pressing muscles and builds a tremendous amount of whole body strength and power. It’s particularly good for our purposes here because it heavily involves both the hamstrings and glutes. It also lends itself particularly well to heavy lifting, which is crucial for building muscle as effectively as possible. Like the squat, the dead lift is a fairly technical lift that takes some practice to master. Make sure you do some research before doing this exercise.
- Hip Thrust- If you’ve never done a hip thrust, meet your new best friend. It’s awkward and embarrassing at first but it’s also the ultimate “secret weapon” for butt building that you’ll find it just about every fitness competitor’s routine.
- The Lunge- Although the lunge isn’t normally thought of as an effective butt exercise, research hows the glutes are very involved with pulling you back to a standing position. I hold two 20lbs dumbbells when I lunge and do about 3 to 4 sets of 20 reps.
I hope these gives you some ideas on how to achieve that booty. I would also google these exercises before attempting them in the gym. My leg day is on Saturday, so if you want me to post some videos on my Instagram story, let me know. I hope you enjoy feeling the burn!